Timing chain tensioner leak S50B32

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing chain tensioner leak S50B32

I think my timing chain tensioner has started to leak - looks to be a crush washer fitted but how involved is it to remove the tensioner as access looks very limited for a spanner or deep socket?

Anyone done it?
    Last edited by Dave P; 06-06-2022, 09:00 PM.

Bit of a pain to remove due to limited access but by moving the washer bottle and using a borrowed cut down 32mm spanner managed to remove the chain tensioner

Comment

Comment

Ordered new crush washer (07119963418) so will refit and see if this cures the oil leak

Comment

Still leaking so have bought another tensioner and o ring to try but concerns the leak is actually from elsewhere and just looks like its from the tensioner

Comment

As per my journal the leak was from elsewhere and just ending up on the tensioner

Comment

Hi Dave,

BOTH the USA S52 ('98-'00 M Rdstr/Cpe engine) and the S54 are notorious for leaking AT the tensioner cap.

Steel cap, aluminum seal washer and aluminum case subjected to hundreds (conservatively speaking) of heat-cycles result in the cap loosening enough for oil to seep past. Practically every car I worked I, I'd always tighten the cap a bit (just like ALWAYS retorquing the six nuts atop each strut tower__they're always loose too).

The head cover/gskt can also leak, but that often points to another issue: excess crankcase pressure due to a clogged cyclone separator (at least on the US S52 engines, I don't know if that's applicable to engines in any other market).

Glad you have your leak sorted out, but should it ever return, check out the type of PCV for your engine (US S54s use a labyrinth oil separator in the head cover itself, and to the best of my knowledge, don't cause any problems).

Randy
              Randy Forbes
              Sports Cars Plus, LLC
              Parrish, Florida, USA
              http://spcarsplus.com/piwigo/

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Forbes View Post
                Hi Dave,

BOTH the USA S52 ('98-'00 M Rdstr/Cpe engine) and the S54 are notorious for leaking AT the tensioner cap.

Steel cap, aluminum seal washer and aluminum case subjected to hundreds (conservatively speaking) of heat-cycles result in the cap loosening enough for oil to seep past. Practically every car I worked I, I'd always tighten the cap a bit (just like ALWAYS retorquing the six nuts atop each strut tower__they're always loose too).

The head cover/gskt can also leak, but that often points to another issue: excess crankcase pressure due to a clogged cyclone separator (at least on the US S52 engines, I don't know if that's applicable to engines in any other market).

Glad you have your leak sorted out, but should it ever return, check out the type of PCV for your engine (US S54s use a labyrinth oil separator in the head cover itself, and to the best of my knowledge, don't cause any problems).

Randy
                Great info as always Randy, many thanks

Comment

Working...
                X