This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guide to removing rear trim

Having been through the pain of removing the rear trim in my MC to get to the shock mounts, I took a few photos to remind myself what screw goes where when I come to put it together again in a few weeks time. Whilst I had the camera out I decided to take a few more and write it up:

http://www.ex-parrot.com/~pdw/mcoupe/rsm.html

I'll try to take a few more photos when I do put it together again.

Paul

Good stuff! i will be doing this in the next couple of weeks..
    Ex S54 - She has gone....

Comment

Let me if anything's not obvious. I've just counted the 24 pieces of trim now sitting on my living room floor and realise that I've got more pieces than I remembered when writing that up

:roll:

Paul

Comment

When removing all the trim did you break any fixings? i read on bimmerforums about them breaking all sorts of clips etc!

Comment

Well done!

I had a couple of holes drilled in the rear so I can get to the top of the suspension to adjust the rebound.

I have rubber mushroom fixing things that I take out when I need to make any adjustments.

much better

Lee
          Ex 'V3RY M - MCoupe track monster'
          New toys

Porsche widebody project

Cayenne Diesel

Comment

Originally posted by Lee
            Well done!

I had a couple of holes drilled in the rear so I can get to the top of the suspension to adjust the rebound.

I have rubber mushroom fixing things that I take out when I need to make any adjustments.

much better

Lee
            Is it just a hole through the carpet Lee or more than that?

Comment

Originally posted by AJL
              Originally posted by Lee
              Well done!

much better

Lee
              Is it just a hole through the carpet Lee or more than that?
              Alex I will take some pics for you so you can see exactly.
              Ex 'V3RY M - MCoupe track monster'
              New toys

Porsche widebody project

Cayenne Diesel

Comment

Originally posted by AJL
                When removing all the trim did you break any fixings? i read on bimmerforums about them breaking all sorts of clips etc!
                Nope. The only things that suffered are the caps on the screws on the center divider. They're reusable, but if you're anal about these things you'll replace them (part numbers on the web page). The other thing are the bits of trim inside the tie down points in the boot. Hard to get these out without marking them, but they're totally out of sight when in place.

The bit to be careful with is removing the sub / amp covers. Make sure you reach through the hole for the speaker / CD changer so that you press the plastic close to where the retainers are. Otherwise, I can imagine you'd run into problems, and those bits aren't cheap to replace.

Dismantling car trim can be like Russian roulette - some parts you've just got to pull hard on to get them out, but you don't know whether that was the right thing to do until it either comes off or it breaks.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Lee

Alex I will take some pics for you so you can see exactly.
                  Thanks would be good!

Got to say the trim removal does look a right pain! I can imagine rattles can be formed from pulling it all apart as well.

Comment

Alex,

Indeed, the trim is a bastard to remove and when you solve one rattle another may be created.

What a pain!

Comment

Paul

Thanks for the info on removing the rear trim.

All done in about half an hour, Thanks to your good instructions :-)

As an aside My coupe has done 30K and looking at the rear mounts, they are shot to bits
                      looking

Comment

Originally posted by Lee
                        Well done!

much better

Lee
                        i have holes in mine too, what exactly have you filled the holes with?
                        BBS LMs, KWv3, H&R ARBs, Wiechers half cage, Wiechers front strut brace, Gruppe M

Comment

Originally posted by brady
                          Originally posted by Lee
                          Well done!

much better

Lee
                          i have holes in mine too, what exactly have you filled the holes with?
                          I think they should have had caps from the factory - it's a daft design to have to in theory strip the whole of the rear to get to the top mounts (which are common to fail too). All it needed was some circular pieces of trim that covered a hole.

I'm not sure it would work perfectly but would those circular hole cutter pieces (usually for wood, plasterboard etc, for when fitting spotlights to ceilings etc) work? They'd cut the a circular piece out which you can place back after.

Comment

Or Rogues would do the job!

Comment

Originally posted by Rags
                              Or Rogues would do the job!
                              Yea or do what I did and modify the standard ones so that they bolt up from inside the wheel arch. But this doesn't sound like it helps those with adjustable suspension where it's top adjustable.

Comment

Working...
                              X