Under bonnet Rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Under bonnet Rust

Hello hello again, has anybody else ever had rust appear just under the bonnet lip at the front? I noticed it when "fixing" the grill. It is right between the two grills. Took it to one panel beater who reckoned new bonnet. Great help. Any suggestions??

Sounds drastic, can you get a second opinion?

Comment

Unfortunately the only surefire way to get rid of rust is to cut it out and replace with fresh metal. You can use stuff like "kurust" which is supposed to stabilise it and turn it into a paintable surface but it is only temporary and will return.
      Depending on what the surfacing is like, it might be a big job to cut out & fabricate a new section, hence the easier route being a new bonnet.

I had the same dilemma with my sill covers - they could have been re-worked & new metal welded in, but the easier/cheaper option was to plump for brand new parts.

But, well worth getting a 2nd opinion. Whatever you do, once complete, make sure the underside gets a good coating of waxoyl.
      ----------------
      David
      1999 M Coupe (S50)
      >>Read my journal here<<
      2005 Smart Roadster-Coupe Brabus
      2022 Range Rover Evoque PHEV

Comment

Originally posted by Bruski_11 View Post
        Hello hello again, has anybody else ever had rust appear just under the bonnet lip at the front? I noticed it when "fixing" the grill. It is right between the two grills. Took it to one panel beater who reckoned new bonnet. Great help. Any suggestions??
        I looked at the bonnet on my car this afternoon and fortunately I don't have a rust problem as you have. I did notice though that the bottom edge of the bonnet was rubbing on one of the bolt heads securing the front bumper, no rust, but polished metal. I'll attend to that in due course.

I had a similar rust problem on my car when refurbishing the front and rear wings earlier this year. All four were about 90/95% good, however the paint chap I used said he couldn't remove the rust successfully using the equipment he had particularly the double skinned areas on the small front wings. He suggested either buying new (front £330 each - rear £550 each) which was out of the question for me, or try getting them grit blasted.
        I took the latter root and the local guy I used charged me nothing for doing the front wings, took him 20mins in his blast cabinet. I took my rear wings to him a week later and he charged me £20, took him about 40mins all told. I appreciate that you cannot get a large bonnet section in a blast cabinet but you could check around to see if anyone can do a blasting job for you.

The other option is a good 2nd hand bonnet from one of the breakers off Zroadster.org and get it resprayed to match your car.

The cost of new bonnet will be quite expensive I'm sure.
        Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 805 of 821 RHD built

Previous BMWs

2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black interior.
        2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 692 of 821 RHD built
        1986 M635
        1985 E28 M5
        1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

I dont think you can buy a new bonnet from BMW anymore, I would try and get yours fixed rather than buy one off a scrapper which would be a nightmare to get delivered

Comment

Many thanks all, some helpful feedback. Another chap did mention cutting out and fabricating a new piece but he was a little concerned about how delicate he'd need to be and if the rust had gone through to the bonnet itself. Spending so much time then would be equivalent to getting a bonnet. I have been to one blast place who gave me a quote on blasting the underbody (ie. chassis) but they were not able to do the bonnet sadly. I am going to try a few more places however. If you can blast a wheel to remove corrosion, then ideally a bonnet too - although they are so big it might be difficult. And yes, sourcing a wrecked bonnet will be slow and then need a re-spray regardless which kind of puts you back at square one.

Comment

As an update, I went to a 'rust surgeon' today. Seemed the right person to speak to too! His view was it all can be fixed and he's going to do the underbody rails as well. I have not posted photos on here for a while but if I can get some before and afters it might be useful for others as well.

Comment

Sounds promising.
                Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 805 of 821 RHD built

Previous BMWs

2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black interior.
                2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 692 of 821 RHD built
                1986 M635
                1985 E28 M5
                1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

Working...
                X