Fuel pump (how easy to change?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel pump (how easy to change?)

I think my fuel pump has gone as it was very noisy priming at the Ring and I broke down on the way home (wouldn't not restart after refuelling). After 30mins it restarted and was missing a little but I got back home (it drove fine on the motorway with normal power). Now sat in the garage it won't even start again!

The pump again primed really noisily so I'm guessing the fuel pump has gone.

I can see an access hatch in the carpet on the rear bulkhead so does the driver's seat need removing; is removal and refitting fairly straight forward?

I think you may be able to get to it with the drivers seat fully forward. You have to cut around the carpet to get at it though. The carpet is perforated around the perimeter, so should be easy to cut.

Good luck,

Paul

Comment

Will this help?

http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/e36/M_...tem/fuel_pump/

...and scroll to the bottom of the page.
      2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Another possibility, might be the fuel filter be a bit blocked? It's dead easy to run close to empty at The Ring and get a bit of fuel starvation when cornering hard, which would pull all the crap from the bottom of your tank into the fuel lines.

See: http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?2/20/07
        http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?2/05/44
        and
        http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/00/30/95
        The first MC I ever tried (at an Indy dealers) I could hear a noise from behind me when I was driving. The low fuel warning light was on and I drove it on fumes. (I didn't buy that car).
        Last edited by exdos; 26-03-2012, 12:29 PM.
        /// Exdos ///
        "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Thanks, gonna try the cheap and easier bits first; fuel filter and maybe also the fuel relay which can sometimes give this problem apparently. Relay is about £13 but I'm hoping to find an identical one on the car that does something else (perhaps ABS?) to test first.

BMW want nearly £45 for a fuel filter though(!) so have ordered a premium quality one from ECP for £10! I've replaced this once whilst I've had the car with a genuine filter and can't remember it being anywhere near that expensive!!

New pump is £330 from BMW, found one at a breakers for £80 so will go with that if after the other bits it still won't run. Pity the car runs a unique pump...

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
            Thanks, gonna try the cheap and easier bits first; fuel filter and maybe also the fuel relay which can sometimes give this problem apparently. Relay is about £13 but I'm hoping to find an identical one on the car that does something else (perhaps ABS?) to test first.

BMW want nearly £45 for a fuel filter though(!) so have ordered a premium quality one from ECP for £10! I've replaced this once whilst I've had the car with a genuine filter and can't remember it being anywhere near that expensive!!

New pump is £330 from BMW, found one at a breakers for £80 so will go with that if after the other bits it still won't run. Pity the car runs a unique pump...
            dont forget to try this guy

or use euro car parts online, and code MBCLUB25
            they sell fuel pumps (OE ones) i bought both for my 530d from there and they have been fine for over a year now! (my mechanic uses the ECP fuel pumps for his customers cars and said he never had any probs, i think it was pierburg brand for my car?)

Click here to email me

Comment

Thanks INDY, for a new one I think BMW is the only source as I can't find anyone selling Z3M pumps but loads of places sell 3/5/7 series pumps aftermarket. Don't have much knowledge of them but I bet in reality there is only minor difference between an e36 pump and the Z3M one!

Comment

When mine failed it was said to be unique to the car (not sure if this is just S54). Took over a week to source it from "somewhere in Germany" - not held centrally.

Also cost £422.61 plus VAT (in Mar 09)
                S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Originally posted by ian View Post
                  When mine failed it was said to be unique to the car (not sure if this is just S54). Took over a week to source it from "somewhere in Germany" - not held centrally.

Ouch, for a tiny pump!
                  2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Originally posted by ian View Post

Ian, what symptoms did you car have when it failed?

Bizarrely my car started fine earlier, I turned it off then tried to restart; it ran fora few seconds then died. I've hardwired the pump and it doesn't do anything now.

Comment

CW
                      A couple of minor starting issues over a couple of days then it died totally about 500 yards after starting - RAC couldn't get is started so car was taken to garage on a truck - one of the saddest times of my life!!!
                      Ian
                      ps, car had done 135K at that time.
                      S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Mines similar mileage. Issue with the Z3 is the fuel pump is halfway up the side of the tank meaning you can't remove it unless there's under 1/4 in the tank. Don't have a syphon and couldn't drain via the pump as it doesn't work so had to lose a gallon or so into a bucket under the car when I took it off.

Comment

c_w,
                          Did you sort this problem out? What was the conclusion?
                          /// Exdos ///
                          "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Yes all sort now thanks! Yes it was the fuel pump that had gone, perhaps 2-days at full throttle was too much for it

It started with a light mis-fire off-idle when setting off but otherwise the car started and drove fine. It even made fine power on the 2nd day of the trackday. Re-fuelling on the way home the pump must have overheated when the tank ran low and didn't restart but did 45mins after it had cooled down and managed to get me home but it never started again after that.

As the Z3M fuel pumps are very expensive and hard to get hold of outside BMW dealers I bought an aftermarket Walbro fuel pump. These tend to be used in the tuning scene for higher flow pumps (although the Z3M pump is high flow/large capacity too as the fuel pressure is 5bar, where 3bar is more common on cars). The pump I bought was a Walbro GSS250 rated at 190litres/hour which is supposed to be good for near 400bhp so should be fine on the M engine. I looked at the larger 255lph capacity pumps but don't think I need that plus feared it may over-run the pressure regulator/return line and raise fuel pressure and affect idle/mpg. Bought it off ebay for £55.

The OEM pump (VDO) looks similar to the walbro, but the walbro is slightly shorter in height and smaller in diameter. It comes with a fitting kit with clips and new pickup filter etc but the internal fuel pipe that comes with it was too short (and so was the OEM pipe) due to the shorter pump dimensions so I had to order some "in-tank" fuel hose to get a longer pipe. This connects the pump to the pump cradle inside the tank. This is because you want the pump intake (at the bottom) to sit in the same low position as the factory pump otherwise you will suffer fuel starvation/run out of fuel earlier than normal. It all fits in fairly simply and the pump comes with a new connector that you can simple solder the two wires off the OEM pump on to (connections on both pumps are two spade connections).

I bought a new fuel pump sealing ring that fits around the pump to seal it into the tank although the original was in good conditon and could have been re-used.

You can remove the pump without taking the seat out although it does restrict space a bit it is possible. The fiddliest part is removing and refitting the bulkhead plate held on by 4 screws and difficult to line up in a confined/dark space.

So far it's running fine although I've not used the car much since last month.
                            Last edited by c_w; 01-05-2012, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Good you've got that sorted and come up with an economic solution too!

You were lucky to get home!
                              /// Exdos ///

Comment

Working...
                              X