This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boot floor / Sub-frame / Diff mount failure thread

Had a persistent creaking noise coming from the rear of my '99 M Coupe (70k miles) for a long time now and naturally attributed this to plastic interior in the boot area. But yesterday the creaking rapidly got bad enough to worry me and think that something didn't sound right. You could hear the creaking as you were slowly moving off in first and slowly stopping.

Anyway, I remembered the widely discussed topic (roadfly, bimmerforum, bimmerfest, etc.) of sub floor or sub frame failures in a huge number of M Coupes and decided to have a look under the toolkit and the jack.

I found a massive tear and a number of failed spot-welds (apparently this is a cheap and unacceptable way to weld such a component and a MIG or similar weld should be performed. I am not an engineer, but that’s what I’ve read elsewhere).

I've got pictures, but seem to be unable to upload for some reason. If anyone can help with the pics - let me know, there are 3 ~150kb files that clearly demonstrate the failure. SCARY, you have to see this and check your M Coupe.

I will try to take it to my local dealer (Hexagon of Highgate in North London) and insist they write a letter to BMW GB requesting they cover the full cost of fixing the problem of a safety critical element of the vehicle.
    Happiness isn't around the corner, it IS the corner.

Sorry to hear that mate. send me the pics and i'll put them up. imran_arshad2000 at hotmail.com.

Comment

Thanks Maahny,

The pics are in your Inbox.

Comment

That is bad :evil:

Best of luck sorting it out Denis. Keep us all informed of the outcome.

Comment

Please tell me thats not a common faliure......

Comment

Its happened to a couple of cars on this forum. BMW have fixed it at no cost previously. Better stop doing donuts

Comment

Originally posted by maahny
              Its happened to a couple of cars on this forum. BMW have fixed it at no cost previously. Better stop doing donuts
              Please let me know who this happened to and how they got BMW to pay for the fix, as I need some "ammo" before I go to the dealer tomorrow!

Comment

Oh blimmy, hope you get it sorted out!

Comment

Nemesis is the one that springs to mind. He must have had his car back by now. I know a non forum member that it happened to. I'll speak to him and see if he is OK with me passing on his contact details.

Comment

didnt it happen a lot in the states? or is just they complain more? A LOT MORE!

Comment

I have two cracks at differential mount, BMW refuses to pay the repair and dealer has stopped answering my mails :)

But my cracks are minor, easy to fix.
                      S50 - '99 Estoril/Estoril-Black
                      Mods - KW 3 Coilovers, H&R ARBs, Raid steering wheel, Wiechers Sport half-rollcage & strut brace, Simota CAI, Powerflex front and beam bushes, Beyern Mesh 18".

Comment

sorry to read this Dendeman,

I hope BMW take this seriously

Good luck!
                        Ex 'V3RY M - MCoupe track monster'
                        New toys

Porsche widebody project

Cayenne Diesel

Comment

Cripes - keep us up to speed with progress.

Best of luck.

Simon.

Comment

Blimey :shock: :shock:

I've had all the trim out of the coupe this weekend, after fitting my Schnitzer race suspension, and had a good look for any cracks. Thankfully all clear but i'll be checking every 3 months from now on especially with having the upgraded diff :roll:

Hope you get it sorted ok!
                            Black S50

Comment

Originally posted by chippy
                              Blimey :shock: :shock:

I've had all the trim out of the coupe this weekend, after fitting my Schnitzer race suspension, and had a good look for any cracks. Thankfully all clear but i'll be checking every 3 months from now on especially with having the upgraded diff :roll:

Hope you get it sorted ok!
                              just checked mine also

looks like the day it rolled out of the factory!

I guess it comes down to the person who did the weld and how competent they were?

did they change the procedure for later cars??
                              Ex 'V3RY M - MCoupe track monster'
                              New toys

Porsche widebody project

Cayenne Diesel

Comment

Working...
                              X