No announcement yet.

Fault code reader for S50B32

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Dave, I'm not sure what the SRS section is which is not shown in the instruction manual?

According to the iCARSOFT manual to access fault codes etc. you should select the OBD option, but unfortunately it tells me it cannot connect to the car in this mode. The only connection it can make is via the Diagnostics option which has 45 separate checks but the reader only links to x 4 options, is this your experience?

Comment

Originally posted by wygre8 View Post
      Hello Dave, I'm not sure what the SRS section is which is not shown in the instruction manual?

According to the iCARSOFT manual to access fault codes etc. you should select the OBD option, but unfortunately it tells me it cannot connect to the car in this mode. The only connection it can make is via the Diagnostics option which has 45 separate checks but the reader only links to x 4 options, is this your experience?
      I dont have a OBDII on my coupe so am using the large connector under the bonnet, in the menu pictured I get a SRS section (3rd line)

Comment

Ah yes been through that option, which is for the passenger sensor within the seat pad, it senses a passenger and will tension the seat belt in the event of an impact, but not related to the airbag. As I wrote earlier in my post, under the Diagnostics function there are 45 system options/checks listed but this tool will only link to x 4 diagnostic checks, which are the ones you show in your photo. As an example one of the system options is if memory serves is Dashboard functions, but the tool will not link to this?
        May I ask if you have tried linking up to the various Diagnostics functions or you only have access to the four listed?

Comment

Originally posted by daviddunn View Post

This one? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scanner-Air...73157131&psc=1

Can anyone recommend a similar one that does a wider range of cars?
          Yes that's the one.
          I also have a chinese clone Delphi DS150e which looks like it does BMW among many brands - but not got my hands too dirty with it as yet & not plugged it into the M Coupe yet.

----------------
          David
          1999 M Coupe (S50)
          >>Read my journal here<<
          2005 Smart Roadster-Coupe Brabus
          2022 Range Rover Evoque PHEV

Comment

Ah yes been through that option, which is for the passenger sensor within the seat pad, it senses a passenger and will tension the seat belt in the event of an impact, but not related to the airbag. As I wrote earlier in my post, under the Diagnostics function there are 45 system options/checks listed but this tool will only link to x 4 diagnostic checks, which are the ones you show in your photo. As an example one of the system options is if memory serves is Dashboard functions, but the tool will not link to this?
            May I ask if you have tried linking up to the various Diagnostics functions or you only have access to the four listed?
            I have my drivers seat removed so have a airbag light showing on the dash, plugging in the isoft and using the menu click on SRS

Comment

Comment

Comment

click on clear fault memory

Comment

I bought the Icarsoft as a fault code reader so am not surprised the options are limited to basic functions, I believe you can get much more information using "inpa" for example but not sure if this needs an obdII port which I dont have.
                    Last edited by Dave P; 16-11-2021, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Thank you Dave, I went through the same steps as you highlight in your photos but unfortunately the airbag light remains on continuously. I've been on the iCARSOFT website, connected my reader and tried uploading the latest software updates but it made no difference. I've e-mailed iCARSOFT direct in the USA, they have responded but cannot offer much.
                      I'm afraid this tool seems very limited in what it can perform on UK cars, but at £150 it was an expensive experiment :(

Comment

Thank you Dave, I went through the same steps as you highlight in your photos but unfortunately the airbag light remains on continuously. I've been on the iCARSOFT website, connected my reader and tried uploading the latest software updates but it made no difference. I've e-mailed iCARSOFT direct in the USA, they have responded but cannot offer much.
                        I'm afraid this tool seems very limited in what it can perform on UK cars, but at £150 it was an expensive experiment :(
                        Thats interesting, do you know for certain you have got rid of the airbag fault?. If I get a chance over the weekend I will plug a spare sensor into my car and see if I can clear my airbag light as the drivers seat is currently out of the car.

Comment

I have iCarsoft for my other cars and it turns off airbag light no issue at all - but it will ONLY turn off the light if you have actually fixed the issue which caused it to come on in the first place.
                          All fault readers work the same - they won't disable the lamp while the fault is present.
                          ----------------
                          David
                          1999 M Coupe (S50)
                          >>Read my journal here<<

Comment

Thank-you both for responding.
                            Dave I'll be interested to know what you find.
                            Yes I agree, the iCARSOFT will not repair an airbag that's faulty, but there is a slim chance it has a fault but unlikely. That said the tool does seem very limited in the options available for UK cars?

Comment

From experience usually the fault lies with dirty connections under the seats - as you move/adjust the seat the wiring moves and if the connection isn't totally secure, or, has oxidised (quite common) the continuity can be disturbed and hence the light is triggered.
                              If the connection remains dirty the light won't go out by any diagnostics as it believes there's a fault with the pretensioner.

On my own M Coupe, I had the airbag light trigger - fault reader pointed to passenger pretensioner - so we took the connection apart and cleaned it up & reconnected but still the light wouldn't reset. Then we changed the actual pretensioner itself and the light immediately reset with diagnostics. So in my case it would seem I actually had a faulty unit.
                              ----------------
                              David
                              1999 M Coupe (S50)
                              >>Read my journal here<<

Comment

Thank you for the info, I'll be checking the seat connections and pre-tensioner ????

Comment

Working...
                                X