Oil and water temperatures S50B32

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil and water temperatures S50B32

I have noticed recently that the water temperature gauge on my 1998 S50 has moved from 5 to 12 to 12o'clock during normal running in and out of traffic , most of the cooling system has been replaced over the years and the oil temperature on the cars gauge is as per normal. I have recently bought a diagnostic tool and have plugged this in today and this can read the engine water temperature and oil temperature which has given readings of just under 100 degrees for the oil and 93/94 for the water temperature - does this sound ok?.
    Last edited by Dave P; 20-09-2021, 05:36 PM.

Sounds about right to me Dave.
    1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Thanks Ian

Comment

Mine runs 5 to 12. I think the thermostat is quite low at 80deg on these so it may be running warmer than usual but not by much. 93c is ok as engine temps go but might be warmer for this engine.

Comment

I have read some people saying their coupes run at 12 o clock as normal so as long as it doesnt go over that I suppose I shouldnt worry. I took the measurements with the car sat on the drive so there was no airflow through the radiators so not sure what difference it makes with the car being driven especially for the oil temperature with air flow across the oil cooler. I will look at it again next year as the car is now undriveable (no seat!)

Comment

Related but unrelated, I recently got our outside temperature gauge working well with the aftermarket sensor and OEM bracket. I now realised the engine oil gauge, the one to the far left seems like it’s not function, is there a similiar sensor that needs replacing for that to work also? Is an aftermarket sensor a solution like the outside temp sensor? TIA

Comment

Originally posted by Z3inter View Post
              Related but unrelated, I recently got our outside temperature gauge working well with the aftermarket sensor and OEM bracket. I now realised the engine oil gauge, the one to the far left seems like it’s not function, is there a similiar sensor that needs replacing for that to work also? Is an aftermarket sensor a solution like the outside temp sensor? TIA
              I have read about the guages going faulty more than the sensor but dont think new ones are available anymore.

Comment

Realoem shows a oil temperature switch in the oil filter housing but not sure if thi s is in fact a switch or sensor or both

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=11_1302

Comment

Working...
                X