Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavy Clutch S50?

Ladies/Gents

I reach out with regard to the driving experience on my recent purchase, an Estoril Blue S50, low mileage and in A1 condition, but my goodness the clutch is super heavy in action. My question though, is this a feature of the Z3 especially the S50.

I've owned many classic cars over a 40 year span, and not experienced such a heavy clutch which makes driving in traffic a tedious experience.

Any feedback is most welcome.

Thank you
    George

My clutch is heavy but not super heavy , where are you George as it may be worth trying another coupe to see if its a problem with your clutch?

Comment

Hello, thanks for responding, I'm currently staying near Brighton today but travelling back home to Lowestoft tomorrow ( Sunday)

Comment

Hopefully someone may post up who is close to you so you can try another Coupes clutch

Comment

Thank you Dave.

As a follow up, does anyone find there MCoupe clutch very heavy or perhaps have experience of a any Z3 they've driven. I'm and engineer and maintained many classics over the years from the 70's, 80's, 90's and beyond, but this clutch beats them all, I'd almost compare it with a an old Thames Trader truck from the 60's but as you were virtually sitting up straight with your weight over the clutch it was manageable, but sitting in the layed back position in the MCoupe it's tiresome trying to apply the necessary force, coupled with the long pedal travel then over time it's just not fun especially in traffic.

Any other experience out their or comment would be most welcome.

Comment

As Dave said I think you need to drive another coupe to see how they compare with yours. The clutch on my car with 110k miles on it isn’t unduly heavy. Also my wife drives it regularly and has never said to me that it’s any heavier that her Golf 2litre TD GT. The low mileage on yours and maybe long periods in the past were it has been standing unused could have something to do with it. Has it had the braided clutch hose upgrade that most of the cars on here have had? Maybe worth checking.
            Last edited by petecossie; 27-09-2021, 10:02 AM.
            Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 805 of 821 RHD built

Previous BMWs

2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black interior.
            2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 692 of 821 RHD built
            1986 M635
            1985 E28 M5
            1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

I have had many s50 engine cars, and I have a worn out left knee, so very aware of the clutches in cars, but I didn't find my 160K car as bad as some cars I've driven, and when I changed the clutch, it was lighter again. So I would say as Pete says look for the braided clutch line, as mine also had this, and worse case, try a clutch ?? as the clutch in the car is over 20 years old possibly ?
              2001 E46 M3 Coupe for me / 2007 E91 335i for the Dogs.

Comment

Many thanks for the responses.
                I can confirm the clutch has the braided hose upgrade.
                What I have noticed though after removing the brake and clutch plastic covers in the footwell giving access to the clutch pedal mechanism and master cylinder, there is a pretty heavy grade vertical spring within the pedal mechanism, which is an unusual set-up, this spring measures approx 80 mm Long x 25mm diameter and approx 2.5mm gauge, which is compressed slightly as the pedal is depressed. I am assuming the clutch pedal return spring sits with the master cylinder which would be the norm, but what is this 25mm long spring achieving and what is its purpose, does it act as an ancillary return spring, if so it's super heavy duty?

Also, may I indulge in more Q's, I'm new to Z3 MCoupe ownership but handy mechanically therefore is there a workshop manual available either in hard copy or digital, again any feedback is most welcome.

TQ
                George

Comment

Originally posted by wygre8 View Post

Also, may I indulge in more Q's, I'm new to Z3 MCoupe ownership but handy mechanically therefore is there a workshop manual available either in hard copy or digital, again any feedback is most welcome.
                  I’ve got the soft back version the Bentley manual. Recommended. http://www.bentleypublishers.com/bmw...ir-manual.html
                  1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Ian
                    Many thanks for the link, I'm on it ????????

Comment

Many thanks for the responses.
                      I can confirm the clutch has the braided hose upgrade.
                      What I have noticed though after removing the brake and clutch plastic covers in the footwell giving access to the clutch pedal mechanism and master cylinder, there is a pretty heavy grade vertical spring within the pedal mechanism, which is an unusual set-up, this spring measures approx 80 mm Long x 25mm diameter and approx 2.5mm gauge, which is compressed slightly as the pedal is depressed. I am assuming the clutch pedal return spring sits with the master cylinder which would be the norm, but what is this 25mm long spring achieving and what is its purpose, does it act as an ancillary return spring, if so it's super heavy duty?

TQ
                      George
                      Here's the parts for the clutch pedal, looks like #6 is the return spring

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=35_0254

Comment

Regarding a manual as Ian says you can get the Bentley manual but it doesn't cover the Euro S50b32 engine, BMW TIS was a dealer online system but I believe most free versions have been removed from internet

Comment

I would concur with the others - the clutch on my S50 is heavy but not unduly so.
                          I'm in Winchester if you want to pop over & try mine while in the south....
                          ----------------
                          David
                          1999 M Coupe (S50)
                          >>Read my journal here<<
                          2005 Smart Roadster-Coupe Brabus
                          2022 Range Rover Evoque PHEV

Comment

Dave P, many thanks for the clutch pedal drawing which is a great help, I've removed item 11 (Compression Spring) which is not easy, the spring is strong and required a modified valve spring compressor in order to compress sufficiently to remove. Even after removal of this spring the pedal is still heavy, and using simple lever fulcrum mechanics and applied hydraulics Force = Press x Area, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work our it's gonna take a hefty stamp on the pedal to deflect the clutch spring plate?

The compression spring deflects only slightly in action, I've yet to ascertain it's contribution in the overall action of the pedal, but primarily seems to locate the pedal assy and stops it moving laterally on its fulcrum shaft and bushings, which is evident with the spring removed.
                            Item 6 (Return spring) does not exist, the pedal and bulk head having no fixings to accommodate this spring, the pedal is a slightly different design to that in the drawing supplied. Surprisingly the pedal is made from polypropylene plastic in comparison to the metal brake pedal, no idea of BMW's thinking was here?

I've tried to upload photo's but receive an error message that tellls me I only have 977 KB's available for uploading?

I trust this is of value to some members, and as a follow up I have an ex.neighbour who has a 6 cylinder Z3 soft top which I assume has a similar clutch assy? I'm gonna check the force required on his, and will revert.

PS. Thank you to the member on the offer of checking his car in Winchester, but a wee bit a ways from Lowestoft on the East Coast ????

Comment

Dave P, many thanks for the clutch pedal drawing which is a great help, I've removed item 11 (Compression Spring) which is not easy, the spring is strong and required a modified valve spring compressor in order to compress sufficiently to remove. Even after removal of this spring the pedal is still heavy, and using simple lever fulcrum mechanics and applied hydraulics Force = Press x Area, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work our it's gonna take a hefty stamp on the pedal to deflect the clutch spring plate?

The compression spring deflects only slightly in action, I've yet to ascertain it's contribution in the overall action of the pedal, but primarily seems to locate the pedal assy and stops it moving laterally on its fulcrum shaft and bushings, which is evident with the spring removed.
                              Item 6 (Return spring) does not exist, the pedal and bulk head having no fixings to accommodate this spring, the pedal is a slightly different design to that in the drawing supplied. Surprisingly the pedal is made from polypropylene plastic in comparison to the metal brake pedal, no idea of BMW's thinking was here?

I've tried to upload photo's but receive an error message that tellls me I only have 977 KB's available for uploading?

I trust this is of value to some members, and as a follow up I have an ex.neighbour who has a 6 cylinder Z3 soft top which I assume has a similar clutch assy? I'm gonna check the force required on his, and will revert.

PS. Thank you to the member on the offer of checking his car in Winchester, but a wee bit a ways from Lowestoft on the East Coast ????

Pictures on the BMW parts guide may be from another car so not always accurate, I would think its the same or very similar set up on the roadsters. If the pictures size is too large you may get error messages or you can host them somewhere like imgur and copy them into the forum.

Comment

Working...
                              X