Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear view mirror fix

Hi all,

The black dimming knob on the bottom of my 2000 S50 rear view mirror had gone brittle and dropped off when I knocked it. As a result the mirror now shakes when driving. Has anyone had a similar issue and if so how did you sort it as a replacement mirror from BMW is in excess of £400! Any advicxe/suggestion welcome.

Cheers

Cant suggest a fix but it is a common problem as the plastic on the adjuster is very thin and tends to snap or break with use, not heard of the mirror shaking though

Comment

Thanks Dave, it seems to have stopped shaking! I think it's a case of sticking it back on? or replacing with a z4m mirror which is easier to get hold of!

Comment

Originally posted by garyp View Post
        Thanks Dave, it seems to have stopped shaking! I think it's a case of sticking it back on? or replacing with a z4m mirror which is easier to get hold of!
        The problem with the euro M mirror is that it contains part of the alarm and central locking system so you cant just swap for a standard mirror unless it has the same alarm 433mhz pcb

Comment

I took my old one apart to show broken mechanism,

Comment

Comment

Not sure if glue alone would work as there is a fair amoount of force needed to turn the adjuster,

Comment

BMW did do a z3m rear view mirror without the internal pcb which is much cheaper but I have left a call with my local dealer to see if they are still available as this may be a cheaper way of getting a replacement and swapping the broken parts over? I will update when I hear back

Comment

empty mirror case without alarm pcb,

Comment

non dimming mirror and surround,

Comment

You can still get a new S52 mirror from BMW so I have ordered one from Germany stock to see what it is like, should arrive some time next week so will update shortly

Comment

Hi Dave...yes you right I tried glue but it did'nt last long. Do you have use for the adjuster on your "spare" or are you keeping it for a similar situation?

Comment

Originally posted by garyp View Post
                          Hi Dave...yes you right I tried glue but it did'nt last long. Do you have use for the adjuster on your "spare" or are you keeping it for a similar situation?
                          My original one has the broken adjuster knob and snapped shaft, I bought a early S52 mirror from BMW which arrived today which appears to be the same as the S50 mirror but without the alarm/central locking pcb , I havent tried it but it may be possible to swap the parts between mirrors or fit the pcb into new mirror. Not cheap at £130 inc vat but a lot less than the S50 mirror

Comment

S52 mirror,

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X