Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ambient Temperature Sensor

It seems that they are NLA from BMW - part number 62142491476
    And they were also very expensive when they were available (£100+)

But googling that number comes up with a lot of cheap alternatives (around anywhere between £5 - £20) - question is... has anyone tried any of these pattern parts & do they work? They seem to be generic BMW external temp sensors but I read on Znet that the Z3M / M-Coupe has a different part.

My gauge is misreading with a quivering needle on some occasions or simply just wrong display at others (like this morning when it was reading 26 deg yet I had to scrape ice off the car!)

Any advice gratefully received!
    ----------------
    David
    1999 M Coupe (S50)
    >>Read my journal here<<
    2005 Smart Roadster-Coupe Brabus
    2022 Range Rover Evoque PHEV

See this thread for an alternative,

https://www.mcoupe.co.uk/forum/forum...p-sensor-mount

Comment

Ah fantastic thanks Dave! My search never contained the word "outdoor" or I'd have found that thread!
      ----------------
      David
      1999 M Coupe (S50)
      >>Read my journal here<<

Comment

OK so if I get this right - the part used is actually a coolant sensor... how odd?!
        Still seems cheap enough so if it does the job....
        EDIT - except everyone is out of stock... probably why they're NLA from BMW
        Last edited by 137699; 18-01-2022, 05:10 PM.
        ----------------
        David
        1999 M Coupe (S50)
        >>Read my journal here<<

Comment

Its worth checking on the condition of your current sensor as they are known to get rusty and give false readings but if they are too bad they can fall to bits.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
            Its worth checking on the condition of your current sensor as they are known to get rusty and give false readings but if they are too bad they can fall to bits.
            Often it’s the contacts inside the connector behind the rh rear wheel arch that corrode and give iffy readings.
            1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

I noticed that the readings on my gauge were a bit iffy before I started on my rear wing refurb. The bracket was none existent and the sensor was tie wrapped to the bit that was left. The sensor was covered in crud and having noted that Dave had said they were NLA I carefully cleaned it up, recut the threads with a die nut, used some of my Hammerite paint to protect the surfaces, cleaned contacts and cover them in some Denso waxed tape that I have. Bingo all works well.
              Last edited by petecossie; 19-01-2022, 02:41 PM.
              Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 805 of 821 RHD built

Previous BMWs

2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black interior.
              2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 692 of 821 RHD built
              1986 M635
              1985 E28 M5
              1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

Ah great thanks guys - I'll take a look in the spring and see if I can salvage what I have before trying to hunt down a replacement!
                ----------------
                David
                1999 M Coupe (S50)
                >>Read my journal here<<

Comment

Working...
                X