Warming up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warming up

How long does your S50 take to warm up/reach 100 degrees?

Mine takes a good 10 minute drive, obviously taken easily, which feels quite long considering it’s mid-thirties where I am. I had new oil temp and pressure senders fitted at the last service, so am happy that that end of things are running as they should.

I’m wondering if the gauges get ‘sticky’ over time.

I have never seen 100 deg on my oil temp gauge. Most it ever seems to get to is about 80 deg.
    As I had a full replacement engine last year I expected to see different temps but no, it still runs at 80 deg.
    ----------------
    David
    1999 M Coupe (S50)
    >>Read my journal here<<
    2005 Smart Roadster-Coupe Brabus
    2022 Range Rover Evoque PHEV

Comment

Originally posted by Richoking View Post
      How long does your S50 take to warm up/reach 100 degrees?

Mine takes a good 10 minute drive, obviously taken easily, which feels quite long considering it’s mid-thirties where I am. I had new oil temp and pressure senders fitted at the last service, so am happy that that end of things are running as they should.

I’m wondering if the gauges get ‘sticky’ over time.
      last time I checked mine it took 9 miles for the oil to get up to temperature (90/95) so sounds normal

Comment

That's very helpful and it sounds like it's warming up as it should.

Mine doesn't go above 90/95 either, but reading up on S50's on M3cutters, 100 sounded like what a lot of them were seeing, although that could well have been on track.

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by Richoking View Post
          That's very helpful and it sounds like it's warming up as it should.

Mine doesn't go above 90/95 either, but reading up on S50's on M3cutters, 100 sounded like what a lot of them were seeing, although that could well have been on track.

Thanks,
          Mine is 100dg, well it looks like the needle is pointing at 100 from the drivers seat but I've never looked square on as it were. I think as long as it is consistent, then you are ok. I actually think there is a guide temperature in the manual somewhere if you have that to hand. Anyhoo, temp has risen above 100 before, but in that instance, the outside air temperature was 40 degrees and I was peddling around some German countryside in a fairly spirited manner so I attribute it to that. About 10 mins of calm driving and the temp returned to my normal, ie, needle pointing back at 100 again and not budging. It did however, use a smidgen of oil on this occasion so if your temps are all over the place, maybe check the oil consumption as something could be going on there. Also takes about 10 mins to to warm up, sometimes more if I am driving miss Daisy.

Comment

Looking at mine from the driving position it reads just over the last line before 100 , also assume that the gauge lines are (50) 70 90 (100)

Comment

Interesting that the owners manual shows a different gauge with more lines so to some degree depends how you interpret the lines on our actual gauge?

Comment

If I get a chance over the next few days I will run mine up to temperature and use the icarsoft reader to measure the oil temp and see how this compares to the cars gauge

Comment

Checking the oil the other day it's sitting just below halfway between the min and max markers, so it has drank a little but that's having driven the best part of 1,000km from NL to CH via BE & DE, during which it generally sat just a whisker passed the '90*' line.

The 50* line that we have IRL looks to be in a very similar position to the 60* in the manual, which leaves it all a little open to interpretation. It will be really interesting to see how the reader compares the the gauge though - look forward to hearing you get on Dave.

Comment

Was very hot here yesterday - around 33 deg.
                    Took my MC out for the day - variety of fast A road, motorway and town driving.
                    This was the hottest temp I noted on the gauge all day:

----------------
                    David
                    1999 M Coupe (S50)
                    >>Read my journal here<<
                    2005 Smart Roadster-Coupe Brabus
                    2022 Range Rover Evoque PHEV

Comment

Originally posted by 137699 View Post
                      Was very hot here yesterday - around 33 deg.
                      Took my MC out for the day - variety of fast A road, motorway and town driving.
                      This was the hottest temp I noted on the gauge all day:

Doesn’t yours creep up when you’re going for it though?

Mine very clearly moves up about 10 degrees when I’m having fun and in a few mins after falls back down again. S54 though, iso maybe they work like that.
                      S54 Seca Blue - ACS Short shift and Exhaust. Luverly.

Comment

Is everyone using 10w60?

Comment

Originally posted by quattro View Post
                          Is everyone using 10w60?
                          I now use 5/40 in my S50

Comment

Same here, Fuchs Titan Race Pro S last winter and just bought Millers CFS Nanodrive ready for October.

Both 5W40.

Comment

Working...
                            X