Comment

Wow, never seen one that bad!

Build thread: https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19347

Comment

Another very rusty sill this time on a X reg Z3 Roadster,

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
            Another very rusty sill this time on a X reg Z3 Roadster
            More of a concern is what that looks like underneath. Mine didn't look too bad on the sill covers, but underneath the inner sills needed a full rebuild...

'99 Imola S50 | Simota | Front strut | Braided clutch cable | Bilstein B8 and H&R springs

Comment

My sill covers looked fine, just a little brown on the edges... until they were taken off - then you could see they were like doylies at each end!
              But the actual sills themselves were absolutely fine. Needed a little cleaning up but nothing untoward.

Did find a bit of rust on mine this week though - looks like sometime over the last couple of months I've picked up a stone chip on the leading edge of the driver's door and presumably with all the salt around it's got in and blistered the paint. I don't usually plan to use it til April, but I moved house in Feb, so had to get it MOT'd (which it promptly failed on a seized caliper) so did a few unplanned miles getting that sorted, and then had to move it to my new house - where it sat uncovered through storm Eunace and went unwashed because all my time was taken up with getting moved in - only last week did I get around to cleaning it and I did fear I'd find some paint issues - I wasn't disappointed.

All this said, the big area of rust on any M-Coupe from what I have seen is around the sunroof, and it's totally concealed until the glass comes out - I will be probably having that seen to next winter. I've no idea what mine looks like there but whatever state it's in, I can't imagine it wouldn't benefit from being cleaned up and having some preventative measures taken to ensure longevity...
              ----------------
              David
              1999 M Coupe (S50)
              >>Read my journal here<<
              2005 Smart Roadster-Coupe Brabus
              2008 Ford Ka Zetec
              2017 Kia Sportage GT-S
              2018 Abarth 595 Turismo
              sigpic

Comment

Saw this on another forum - UK car,

Comment