Differences between the S50 and S54 cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differences between the S50 and S54 cars

As per topic. What were the differences between the 2 "different" models?

Also, how many of each were built and from what years?

Should be a nice easy subject we can fill quickly and make a sticky.
    Cheers,

-Mike

S50 is the E36 M3 EVO engine (S50B32) rated at 321bhp. 1998-2000

S54 is the E46 M3 engine but "detuned" and rated at 325bhp. S54 gets grey-faced dials and curved badges and darker "chrome shadow" wheels. 2000-2002?

Comment

S50 has no driver aids.

S54 has DSC.

Comment

ops: (not exactly technical, but...) S54 has chromed bonnet grilles, the S50's are black.
        Are the headlights different:?:
        The M Coupe ... For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.

Now ... S54: Sapphire Black/Black-Black/HK+6/Cruise/Sun Roof/H~Lamp wash///ACS Road Suspension/Rogue Engineering rear top mounts/Braided clutch hose
        RIP ... S50: Artic Silver/Black-Grey/HK+6/Cruise/Side 'bags/Grad Tint///ACS Short Shift/Strong Strut/K&N/HIDs & Angels

Comment

S54 headlights have chrome surround rings
          S50 says MCoupe on speedo, S54 just has M badge
          S54 has tyre pressure monitors, S50 doesn't
          PhilT.

2002 S54
          Titanium Silver/Laguna Seca Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Trundler
            ops: (not exactly technical, but...) S54 has chromed bonnet grilles, the S50's are black.
            You mean by chromed bonnet grilles the bmw "kidney" grilles?
            Bmwmregistry says:
            The following items were introduced or modified to the S50- and S52-powered M coupes beginning with April, 1999 production:
            -Chrome slats added to front "kidney" grilles

http://bmwmregistry.com/model_faq.php?id=17
            S50 - '99 Estoril/Estoril-Black
            Mods - KW 3 Coilovers, H&R ARBs, Raid steering wheel, Wiechers Sport half-rollcage & strut brace, Simota CAI, Powerflex front and beam bushes, Beyern Mesh 18".

Comment

Originally posted by Trundler
              S50 cars post 1999 had chromed bonnet grills and chromed headlight surrounds!
              Ex 'V3RY M - MCoupe track monster'
              New toys

Porsche widebody project

Cayenne Diesel

Comment

Mine is a 99 S50 with chrome gills and chrome-ringed headlights (both came in at same time I think).

S54 is drive-by-wire where the S50 uses a normal throttle cable which often gets stiff but is easy to replace.

Comment

The S54 has a much larger air plenum than the S50.

The S54 has a different (more reliable) double VANOS.

The S50 has a locking petrol cap whereas the lid over the petrol cap on S54 locks with the central locking.

The "scuff plate" emblems on the cills are different on S50 and S54 ( a real anorak point!)
                  /// Exdos ///
                  "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Originally posted by exdos
                    The S50 has a locking petrol cap whereas the lid over the petrol cap on S54 locks with the central locking.
                    That must be another thing that was changed after a year or so of production, my S50 has a locking flap connected to central locking and the cap just twists off. I think when the facelifted Z3 roadsters came mid-99 out there were a few revisions across the board that were changed on the Coupe too (locking fuel flap, chrome headlights, chrome gills etc).

Comment

Originally posted by exdos

From april 1999, so later S50 cars have this too.
                      S50 - '99 Estoril/Estoril-Black
                      Mods - KW 3 Coilovers, H&R ARBs, Raid steering wheel, Wiechers Sport half-rollcage & strut brace, Simota CAI, Powerflex front and beam bushes, Beyern Mesh 18".

Comment

Prodcution

Amazing what you can find on the net, here are some production numbers

RHD S50 821 from 8/98 - 6/00
                        RHD S54 168 from 2/01 - 5/02

http://www.answers.com/topic/bmw-m-coupe

I've got some questions on FAQ Buying an MCoupe (and the VANOS). If anyone can help or point me towards the answers I would be grateful.
                        Alex
                        Alex

Comment

alexpalix - do you know if those RHD numbers were for Britain alone or was that World Wide ?? Im assuming world wide.

On that note mine was registered in Sept 2002 making it a '52 plate........are there any other S54 owners with one registered around this time as their cant have been many left at that point ??
                          2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Originally posted by Spooks
                            alexpalix - do you know if those RHD numbers were for Britain alone or was that World Wide ?? Im assuming world wide.

On that note mine was registered in Sept 2002 making it a '52 plate........are there any other S54 owners with one registered around this time as their cant have been many left at that point ??
                            Mine is April 02 I think. I'd be interested to know what number mine is of the 168...any idea how I could find out?

Comment

Here you go Spooks, the full production list

European left hand drive S50 engine: 2,178 built from 04/98 through 06/2000
                              European right hand drive S50 engine: 821 built from 08/98 through 06/2000
                              North America S52 engine: 2,180 built from 07/98 through 06/2000
                              European left hand drive S54 engine: 281 built from 02/2001 through 05/2002
                              European right hand drive S54 engine: 168 built from 02/2001 through 05/2002
                              North America S54 engine: 690 built from 02/2001 through 05/2002

Can anyone direct me to some definitive answers on the VANOS issue? I am really interested in getting an M Coupe but £3k seems a big risk and I dont know how to quantify the likelihood of it happening. Did you guys just take the plunge? Sorry to change the subject. I have put the question a different way on the thread 'Buying an MCoupe (and the VANOS)' if you want to answer there.

Is the VANOS more reliable on the S54 than the S50?
                              Alex

Comment

Working...
                              X