Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did you buy for your M Coupe today......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulling together my list of additional screws, clips etc needed to refit all the bits on the car when I've finished rust treatment and the panels have been repainted.

Which bit is this pictured below (Dave will know as I think he said a while ago it is NLA)

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN5258.JPG Views:	0 Size:	35.5 KB ID:	295443

Yes its the bracket for outside temperature sensor. If NLA looks my fabrication skills will come into play. The sensor still works fine.
    Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 805 of 821 RHD built

Previous BMWs

2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black interior.
    2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 692 of 821 RHD built
    1986 M635
    1985 E28 M5
    1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

Yeah, Outside Temp Sensor Bracket.
      Part No. 51.71.2.496.034
      £11.29 inc VAT.
      Was still available late March when I last bought one.

However, the Temp Sensor itself is NLA so it's good yours still works!

Comment

Originally posted by petecossie View Post
        I tried Fairbairns in Scotland, very helpful. However I wasn't quite prepared for the eyewatering quote of £593 for a pair of front wings, they would reduce that to £533 with BMWCC discount, but it was for collection only. So I would think that could not be bettered by any other BMW dealer.
        So back to plan B - my paint guy guy said that the passenger side could have been possibly salvageable if I could get it grit blasted to get rid of the small amount of rust that he could not reach with a sander. I striped off the sealant bead covering the double skin joint on both wings and took them to a local workshop to get grit blasted, the clean up was amazing. The driver's side had a small hole appear in the corner otherwise it also cleaned up well.
        Only took 15mins using a big grit blasting cabinet and he didn't charge me anything.

Took the wings to my paint guy and he said that he could definitely do something with them, even the wing with small hole. So saved myself a small fortune.

Just got the back wings to take off now.
        Just done the same job - some rust had got in to the inner joint on the front drivers inner wing. I fitted a pattern part - on initial trial fit it looked good. On closer inspection however it is not perfect and unless you are examining closely i don't think you would notice but the panel gap to the door is not 100 %.

Whilst you have the Wheel arch liners out, check the brake pipe around the securing clip!

Comment

Spent an hour and a half at local dealers yesterday sorting out my extended list of extra screws, clips, bolts, cap nuts and new plastic fittings to complete the refurb. Spent a lot of time finding on the parts system one of the smallest bits, a bush (51258410134) for the centre locking pin on the end of the Bowden cable for the fuel filler flap. It wasn't listed on the page at first, (the system kept saying that parts 18 to 23 for centre locking fuel flap were not fitted to my car), eventually the spare parts guy found it on an extra section on the page. Its coming from Germany along with a couple of other trim bits. The rest I hope to pick up tomorrow.
          Pete C

Previous BMWs

1986 M635
          1985 E28 M5
          1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

Originally posted by petecossie View Post
            Pulling together my list of additional screws, clips etc needed to refit all the bits on the car when I've finished rust treatment and the panels have been repainted.

Which bit is this pictured below (Dave will know as I think he said a while ago it is NLA)

Click image for larger version Name:	DSCN5258.JPG Views:	0 Size:	35.5 KB ID:	295443

Yes its the bracket for outside temperature sensor. If NLA looks my fabrication skills will come into play. The sensor still works fine.
            The sensor is NLA but as said brackets were still available from BMW a short while ago
            Last edited by Dave P; 06-06-2021, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Pick up my batch of extra goodies for the sill refurb - £137 worth after discount. Including my new outside temp bracket.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5287.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	295517

More to come from Germany later this week.
              Pete C

Previous BMWs

1986 M635
              1985 E28 M5
              1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

Found a couple of Rogue Top Mounts in one of my cupboards in the garage which I got from Indy years ago but looks like the bolts welded to the retaining plate, nuts and gaskets are missing. Trying to figure out a way to use them as I've got the rear boot area stripped out.
                Not sure how these are fitted. Can someone who has fitted these mounts give me a few pointers please.

Just found an old thread with a bit of info.

"Free" Rogue-style rear top mounts - Z3MCoupe.com Forums

C_W did this work for you OK. If I got those reinforcing plates you mentioned and placed as you did, then used the Rogue mounts under the arch will that work OK.

Name:	DSCN5289.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	295519
                Pete C

Previous BMWs

1986 M635
                1985 E28 M5
                1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

One clip that was amongst the bag of bits the lads at garage gave me after removing the sills. I cannot identify it from RealOEM and the lads cannot remember where it was from.
                  Any ideas? P/N ?

Name:	DSCN5286.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	295521Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5280.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	295522
                  Pete C

Previous BMWs

1986 M635
                  1985 E28 M5
                  1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

The new parts arrived from Germany, the left & right water channel fittings plus the tiny bush for the fuel cap centre locking cable.

Spent the day starting to put the car back together after completing the inner sill treatment a couple of days ago. Cleaned up the 4 jacking pads and installed with new expanding nuts & screws, also installed new Prestol clips for lower sill fitting points. Installed new rear number plate lamp to replace the discoloured original.
                    Tried to figure out how the new temperature gauge bracket and the sensor itself were fitted. The RealOEM diagram was a bit misleading, with the old bracket being in such a state I had had to think back to how I had removed the old bracket from the rear wing. I couldn't figure out how the sensor was attached to the bracket till I saw the page with the sensor and gauges on. Its attached with a M10 nut. It was tie wrapped to the bracket when I removed it - no sign of any nut. Although I thought there looked as though there was a thread on it. Have to look it again tomorrow.
                    Pete C

Previous BMWs

1986 M635
                    1985 E28 M5
                    1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

• After all the investment in new sills, refurbishing the inner sills and buying new air ducts (the old ones had been flattened by someone in the past not using proper jacking points) I bought a pair of jacking pads that fit my trolley jack and the jacking pads. Picked them up from Amazon for £9.99 - LuluDa 2 PCS Jack Pad Car Jack Rubber Pad Car Lift Rubber Pads Frame Rail Protector Jacking Pad Heavy Duty Jack Rubber Support Block For BMW Series (Black). They fit perfectly.

Name:	DSCN5309.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	295622
                      Pete C

Previous BMWs

1986 M635
                      1985 E28 M5
                      1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

• Spare secondary air pump and dealer M Coupe watch

Comment

• Originally posted by petecossie View Post
                          Spent an hour and a half at local dealers yesterday sorting out my extended list of extra screws, clips, bolts, cap nuts and new plastic fittings to complete the refurb. Spent a lot of time finding on the parts system one of the smallest bits, a bush (51258410134) for the centre locking pin on the end of the Bowden cable for the fuel filler flap. It wasn't listed on the page at first, (the system kept saying that parts 18 to 23 for centre locking fuel flap were not fitted to my car), eventually the spare parts guy found it on an extra section on the page. Its coming from Germany along with a couple of other trim bits. The rest I hope to pick up tomorrow.
                          Pete,
                          Just saw your post from earlier this year about the Range Rover. I too worked for William Press International but in Bahrain - and Abu Dhabi where I had an old 5 door RR but badged as a Velar which I understand was left in the desert by Land Rover after hot weather trials pre production. I now have a Z3 2.8 (and a new Merc!)
                          John

Comment

• I would’ve just bought a new powder steering pipe as the old one looks a bit tired now but on back order it seems. If anyone’s got one I’d be interested.
                            S54 Seca Blue - ACS Short shift and Exhaust. Luverly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Seca Blue View Post
                              I would’ve just bought a new powder steering pipe as the old one looks a bit tired now but on back order it seems. If anyone’s got one I’d be interested.
                              Do you know the part number?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave P View Post

Do you know the part number?
                                No I don’t. It’s the metal pipe that bolts to the steering box, not the rubber hose they sent me - I do know that.
                                S54 Seca Blue - ACS Short shift and Exhaust. Luverly.

Comment

Working...
                                X