Site maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 137699 View Post
    In internet explorer much of the site doesn't work.
    Can you be more specific? What exactly isn't working?

On the old home page there was a section bottom right that showed all the latest thread activity and the ones you'd not viewed were given an orange envelope icon, the rest had grey. And there was also a "new activity" option which showed you all the threads that had been updated since last login - this was the single most used feature of the forum!
    Does the "New Topics" link at the top give you what you want? Despite the name, it actually seems to give new posts rather than new topics.

Unfortunately the previous version of the forum software was probably the best part of 10 years out of date, and we've skipped an entire major version going from v3 to v5 so quite a lot has changed on both the user side and the admin side.

Comment

Hey guys great work on the update but I'll be honest, I'm really struggling with it.
      In internet explorer much of the site doesn't work. So I switched to Edge which is better but still some of the stuff I really liked about the old one doesn't seem to have carried through....
      Does anyone still use Internet Explorer....?!

Seriously - the updates look good and are a big improvement, especially on mobile - thanks to those involved!

On the old home page there was a section bottom right that showed all the latest thread activity and the ones you'd not viewed were given an orange envelope icon, the rest had grey. And there was also a "new activity" option which showed you all the threads that had been updated since last login - this was the single most used feature of the forum!
      So when I'm logged in, I can see sections with new posts showing up with a blue, rather than grey, speech bubble to the left. If they are all blue at the moment for you, click "Mark channels read" at the bottom of the page to set everything as read and start fresh.

I do agree though, that it would be nice to see all new posts, rather than just new threads, in the "latest topics" section - not sure if this is configurable?
      '99 Imola S50 | Simota | Front strut | Braided clutch cable | Bilstein B8 and H&R springs

Comment

I use IE for just about everything except for 3 sites that don't work on it - now adding this one as the fourth!

In IE the "Latest Activity" link just takes you back to the main forum page - doesn't bring up the list of threads at all. Also the "reply" function doesn't work, nor the page navigation through multi-page threads. There's probably more that doesn't work but I just gave up and tried another browser at that point....

As Kinghtrider says, you now have to go in & out of each subforum to see what new posts have been made in there. The "latest" links only show you complete new threads, not replies to existing threads. It's not the end of the world but it's a bit of an annoyance....

I say all this as I myself run a car forum - though based on Xoops rather than VBulletin. Like this forum we went through a major update 2 years ago which changed a lot of things and as a result in the space of a month we lost over half of our traffic. They all moved over to facebook pages. We fixed a lot of the nav complaints but they never returned. The single biggest "loss" and reason not to come back was the lack of "recent activity" list. Nearly everyone cited that as the reason they switched to facebook groups.... So maybe I'm a little "over sensitive" to this feature!
        ----------------
        David
        1999 M Coupe (S50)
        >>Read my journal here<<
        2005 Smart Roadster-Coupe Brabus
        2022 Range Rover Evoque PHEV

Comment

Sorry, you are having issues, and I'm sure we will get there, but re internet explorer, most people have moved to Chrome or Edge Chromium edition.

As Paul says, we have skipped over a few major updates, and the forum is largely out of the box, and if we can configure to suit all we can, but please beware, we can't just keep changing elements for individual users needs.

You could try the latest activity tab, and then use the filters,

cheers

John
          Last edited by Jonnysideways; 15-03-2021, 04:39 PM.
          2001 E46 M3 Coupe for me / 2007 E91 335i for the Dogs.

Comment

I must say so far I think the new software is a vast improvement over the old outdated version but as with most things it may need a few tweaks so please bare with us and if you see anything that looks wrong please let someone know. If you want to see the most recent posts then for the moment you can do this - click on FORUMS - then LATEST ACTIVITY - then click on FILTER which will give you a drop down box change the new topics from on to off and you will see all the latest posts by time . For the moment you will need to do this each time . (This works in chrome and firefox)

Comment

Thanks for all the hard work guys... can’t have been easy or fun. Much appreciated and looking great in Netscape Navigator Gold ;)
              Last edited by Fat Tony; 15-03-2021, 07:02 PM.
              Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
              ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
              Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

The upgrade is something we have been needing for some time. After using the old one for something like 17 years I know what the lads are meaning about being familiar with the old layout. I don't think anyone is wanting the new layout tailored to individual users needs, all people are doing is giving constructive feedback on the upgrade as its the only way the site can progress forward I think.
                Congratulation to the lads for all the hard work that has gone into doing the upgrade, much appreciated.
                From my point of view I'm still finding my way round but I must admit I do miss the small latest posts section with the little black triangle we had before, which was the first thing I went to. However I'll keep trying things out as much as I'm able to see where it takes me.
                One question, is the colour palette going to be customisable as it is on one of the other Z sites I use? I see that we have cool blue at the bottom of the page which maybe means that it could be a later option.

The emojis still to come I see, keep going with the good work.
                Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 805 of 821 RHD built

Previous BMWs

2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black interior.
                2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 692 of 821 RHD built
                1986 M635
                1985 E28 M5
                1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

Originally posted by petecossie View Post
                  The upgrade is something we have been needing for some time. After using the old one for something like 17 years I know what the lads are meaning about being familiar with the old layout. I don't think anyone is wanting the new layout tailored to individual users needs, all people are doing is giving constructive feedback on the upgrade as its the only way the site can progress forward I think.
                  The 'problem' is that vBulletin as a platform is no longer in development or supported (and hasn't been since around 2017 I think). Many see forum platforms as old hat these days so alternatives aren't great either, hence many forums moving to Facebook groups and the like so options are limited.

It's certainly taking some getting used to. If it's any help (and if this link works) this is what I'm finding is my best option for landing on the site with similar info as per the 'New Posts' view of the previous site version:
                  https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/searc...ssage%22%5D%7D

And then clicking the white >> on the blue background (far right on desktop) takes you to the latest post in the thread relevant to it
                  Last edited by Fat Tony; 20-03-2021, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tony View Post

The 'problem' is that vBulletin as a platform is no longer in development or supported (and hasn't been since around 2017 I think). Many see forum platforms as old hat these days so alternatives aren't great either, hence many forums moving to Facebook groups and the like so options are limited.

It's certainly taking some getting used to. If it's any help (and if this link works) this is what I'm finding is my best option for landing on the site with similar info as per the 'New Posts' view of the previous site version:
                    https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/searc...ssage%22%5D%7D

And then clicking the white >> on the blue background (far right on desktop) takes you to the latest post in the thread relevant to it

Not aware that its not supported , there are still some tweaks to be done but the new software is very similar to the old so not sure what issues people are having and unless told it will be difficult to remedy.

As posted already if you want to find the most recent posts you can for the moment do this - click on" forums" then "latest activity" on the right you should see "filter" click on this to give you a drop down box and switch "new topics" to off - this will then list the latest posts by time.

Smilies are missing but being worked on and there are still some other issues to be ironed out so please bare with us as this kind of major update will take a little time.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post

Not aware that its not supported , there are still some tweaks to be done but the new software is very similar to the old so not sure what issues people are having and unless told it will be difficult to remedy.

As posted already if you want to find the most recent posts you can for the moment do this - click on" forums" then "latest activity" on the right you should see "filter" click on this to give you a drop down box and switch "new topics" to off - this will then list the latest posts by time.

Smilies are missing but being worked on and there are still some other issues to be ironed out so please bare with us as this kind of major update will take a little time.
                      My bad Dave, what I should have said was that dev and support for the previous version of the platform. Somebody pass me more coffee. Send help. Soon.
                      Last edited by Fat Tony; 20-03-2021, 12:37 PM.

Comment

"One question, is the colour palette going to be customisable as it is on one of the other Z sites I use? I see that we have cool blue at the bottom of the page which maybe means that it could be a later option."

Dave selected a colour that wasn't too terrible, I'm able to change my style set, as you mentioned by hitting the style option bottom left.

If you are asking if we plan to create some custom colours for the forum, this is not on my list of things to do currently.

We are still waiting for a fix for the smileys, its coming, Paul is just a busy man

cheers

John.
                        2001 E46 M3 Coupe for me / 2007 E91 335i for the Dogs.

Comment

There we go, the most important feature of any forum now working, haha

Comment

Dont forget if you like a post then click on the like button and the member who posted will eventually get lights to show on the bar graph under his or her name

Comment

Another feature of the new software is the ability to add pictures straight from your computer to a post (size limit applies) by using the camera button on left of replay to post section

Comment

Another thing to be aware of is you may need to delete private messages from your trash as there is a limit and old messages may have been stored and reappear with the new software

Comment

Working...
                                X