Brake Options For track and Road use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Options For track and Road use

My 1st Donnington Park trackday yesterday which was plenty of fun in the Coupe, unfortunately I had massive brake fade from lap 5, and brake fluid light on most the time which destroyed my convidence in the car! The brakes and pads came with the vehicle purchase and I expect 10 years+ old, so expected all of this. I drove the car home making a lot of rubbing brake noise.

want to get the car spot on with braking so I have plenty of confidence, I already have KW V3 fitted and plan to change to H&R roll bars at somepoint. Theres nothing to wrong with the way it goes around the bends as it stands...

So ive started looking at changing to DS2500 pads (whats better option is that good enough?)
    Am not sure what discs to choose yet
    Hel stainless hoses are more than likely
    Im send my Brake calipers to Bigg Red for refurb too, gloss black £££, it's going to get expensive

Anyone out there using there car on track or have past experence? Please advise, espeacially on the discs and pads!

Cheers Paul

Some recent discussion here,

https://www.mcoupe.co.uk/forum/forum...-uk-track-work

Comment

It depends how serious you're going to get with it, but I'm surprised it lasted 5 laps on old stock stuff (pads) - usually they are gone by the second high speed stop!

Brake pads I would highly recommend Pagid RS29 - all round if possible - expensive but worth it, and they have good road manners.

Stick with stock 2-piece discs rather than other aftermarket stuff that might be drilled/grooved (light grooved or J-hook ok though) and try and get some cooling to them if possible. Beyond this a BBK might be worht a look but they are £££ and I had great experience with the stock setup with the right pad (RS29 or CL RC6) and cooling ducting.

I have some almost new RC6 pads and I'm not far from Donington, I could have run them down yesterday!

Comment

I got my car out of storage last week and both rear brakes have siezed (handbrake was left off). Got both calipers off the car as we speak for a rebuild.

Would love to fit some simple Porsche Boxster brembos
        Out: 99 S50 Titan Silver V876 KKO
        In: 98 S50 Estoril.......

Comment

C_W spot on Lap 1 was wank too but lap 5 is when the brakepedal went to floor on turn 1 and I almost left the track. Just looking at Pagid RS29 now cheapest I can find i's £450 all round... £££

Comment

On one of my other cars (which I have used for track days) I used to get brake fade - then I swapped to DS2500's (just with basic Pagid disks) and have experienced zero fade since.
            I rate them very highly and will be fitting them to the MC next change.

Someone once told me to stick with basic OEM spec disks when using performance pads.
            ----------------
            David
            1999 M Coupe (S50)
            >>Read my journal here<<
            2005 Smart Roadster-Coupe Brabus
            2022 Range Rover Evoque PHEV

Comment

I know they get mixed reviews but EBC Yellow Stuff have been fine for me and they are relitevley good value. I have standard Disks, braided Hoses + EBC PADs - Have done several TD's and had no brake issues ( was terrible previously on standard pads).

Good to hear others are getting out on track, I must do the same!

Comment

Had some horrific experiences on EBC over the years.
                Delaminating pads on the M6 at 80mph was an experience I never wish to live through again....
                ----------------
                David
                1999 M Coupe (S50)
                >>Read my journal here<<
                2005 Smart Roadster-Coupe Brabus
                2022 Range Rover Evoque PHEV

Comment

I had yellow stuff fitted all round and they worked well also have some pagid blue which are superb

Comment

Yellowstuff will tolerate some light track work - they are ok for the money but braking power doesn't match the better pads like RS29. RS29 will also outlast Yellowstuff by at least 2.5x so that does make the RS29 not too bad value.

Comment

Stick with genuine BMW discs would be my advice

Comment

Is there a brake upgrade using stock calipers but m3csl 345mm discs?

Comment

I do recomend those 6pot BMW Performance calipers, csl rotors

S50 estoril 12/1998
                          S50 titansilver 03/2000

Comment

Do you need 18 inch wheels to fit over them?

Comment

Originally posted by quattro View Post
                              Do you need 18 inch wheels to fit over them?
                              No, they will fit under standard 17" Roadstars - picture has gone but forum member Hans W had CSL discs with BMW Performance 6 pot calipers and Roadstars

Comment

Working...
                              X