Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some more progress on the welding:

Untitled by urquattro gus, on Flickr

New BMW Diff Mount to fit tomorrow. The old one is cracked and the spot welds look questionable so seems best to fit a new one rtaher than try and repair the old one. Might gusset one side of the ear.

Comment

Car's going to be lovely
      2001 S54 Silver with Red/Black interior. Totally standard.

Comment

Btw, when you painted the rear beam, did you take the whole of it back to bare metal, or just the bits with corrosion? The original paint seems to be some kind of soft stone chip coating and I'm wondering if it's better to leave as much of it on as possible? But, not sure how well the POR15 would bond on top of it.....

Comment

It’s certainly going to give piece of mind for me and any future owners, not that this car is going anywhere for a long time.

One side of mine had more of the rubbery underseal than the other.

I removed all of the rubbery under seal with a wire cup brush on attached to an angle grinder, took a little while. Because it was chipped and broken it was essential to remove in my view, and I don’t think it would over paint very well.

So I go to almost bare metal with some remnants of the original powder coat that sits underneath the rubberised undercoat, the remembrance of powder coat I keyed up and made sure they were not shiny, then used POR 15 Metal Prep rust converter which gets rid of the last bit and lightly primes the surfaces.

Then on with the POR paint.

Comment

Taking shape

Comment

Looking good! I fitted adjustable tabs on my beam so had it shot blasted and powdercoated gloss black whilst it was off. Have a local powder coater that's really reasonable it's not worth trying to clean bits up myself.

Comment

All of the welding and fab is done.

Realy pleased with the results and the general quality of the welding.

These pictures show inside the box section, both sides were lined and then a centre section was inserted in a vertical plane. The top two plates then are welded on top in a t shape as it were, making it very strong.

The diff mount itself has also now been replaced as it had small cracks in two places and the welds looked suspect.

Of course he also added a few extra welds to the floor in a couple of places.

When you hold some of the boot floor in your own hand it hard to believe how thin the steel is and it bends like a piece of licorice.

He also put in a couple of fixing loops so that the battery lead can still be cable tied down.

Next thing to do is rub the surfaces back and add primer, seam sealer and top coat along with grey underseal.

Last edited by urquattrogus; 10-06-2020, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Slow and Steady Wins the race, or something like that!

Products Used:
                  • Dinitrol 445 Zinc Primer
                  • Dinitrol RC900 Rust Coverter/Primer
                  • Dinitrol 401 Brushable Seam Sealer
                  • Dinitrol 447 Grey Underseal Schutz (well not yet)

Comment

Looking great!

Comment

Thanks, it’s all a bit tedious but it’s all in the prep.

I’ve been applying POR 15 to the swing arms after using every sort of wire brush and sanding paper to them, both on drill and a grinder.

Did the degrease with POR marine degreaser, then Metal Prep, then POR 15.

The plan is then to apply POR15 top coat over that.

Then I have to tame the Schutz gun attached to my compressor to apply the final floor undercoat, more masking and moving other cars - the spray drift doesn't bear thinking about!

I'm eager to get on with the actually mechanical renovation, that's what I enjoy more.

Last edited by urquattrogus; 21-06-2020, 03:52 PM.

Comment

I'm in exactly the same situation - currently removing everything from the trailing arms. TBH, I got a bit fed up and haven't done anything for over a week. Got to get motivated and get back to it. Also got a bit distracted looking for a 996...

Comment

Yes it's takes some willpower!

Esp when really all I want to is fit the pile of shiny new parts I've acquired!

996 - anyone for Fried eggs? I think they have got over that now though?

I'm not really a Porsche Guy buy the 993 and 964 do press my buttons :)

Should I be replacing the CV Joints and Boots???

What do people think??

No tears or perishing of the boot, or noises.... And they are not too tricky to do whilst on the car later on????

Comment

996's seem to be growing into their looks and improving with age. I've owned a couple of 3.2's, a couple of 964's, and a 997 (plus a 924 and a 944). Thought the first of the water cooled (996) would be nice to have alongside the last of the air cooled (993).

I'm looking forward to putting on all the new suspension bits, too. And then driving it again...

I'm leaving the CV joints and boots as they seem to be in perfectly good condition. I did consider changing them, but thought it would be too easy to disappear down the rabbit hole and end up changing everything I looked at. I am thinking of changing the brake hoses for braided stainless steel - just concerned I'll open a can of worms when trying to undo them from the hard lines and end up with all kinds of stripped threads and have to replace the hard lines, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatter View Post
                              996's seem to be growing into their looks and improving with age. I've owned a couple of 3.2's, a couple of 964's, and a 997 (plus a 924 and a 944). Thought the first of the water cooled (996) would be nice to have alongside the last of the air cooled (993).

I'm looking forward to putting on all the new suspension bits, too. And then driving it again...

I'm leaving the CV joints and boots as they seem to be in perfectly good condition. I did consider changing them, but thought it would be too easy to disappear down the rabbit hole and end up changing everything I looked at. I am thinking of changing the brake hoses for braided stainless steel - just concerned I'll open a can of worms when trying to undo them from the hard lines and end up with all kinds of stripped threads and have to replace the hard lines, too.
                              Good point, I think I'm going to leave the CV joints for now.

I also have some black stainless braided brake lines - as you say, it could all go horribly wrong if all of the hard line to flexi parts are seized up! I've found in the past sometimes the ferule bonds onto the hard line itself and before you know it you've damaged the line by twisting it up! Flaring isn't much fun either!

Maybe I'll get the hoses done by someone else later on :) how kind or me to leave it for them :)

It's been a couple of months since I've driven her now and missing taking her out for a blast!

Comment

Cricky, you have been busy since I last checked it, really taking shape now good work.
                                2001 E46 M3 Coupe for me / 2007 E91 335i for the Dogs.

Comment

Working...
                                X