Estoril S50 Journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 137699 View Post
    Alas another setback. Oil analysis showed in swarf in the oil (that was only flushed & changed 50 miles ago). So out came the shells and found they had worn so badly that they had scored the crank - also badly enough that regrinding the crank & fitting oversized shells is not an option - so needs new crank & shells but then there's concern as to where else swarf has gone so really needs a total engine rebuild with "open cheque book" type costs likely to be associated.

So... the other option is to source a decent used engine - do a refresh on it & fit that. Challenge being, how do you know what constitutes a "decent" used engine...

Had hoped I'd have it back now - instead looks like it's unlikely to see much road time in 2021 at this rate....
    Very sorry to hear that! I would be looking for a new engine if the crank is scored.... although no doubt it could be cleaned up and oversize shells could be used if it's not too severe?

Maybe find a used engine and then use a bore scope to inspect the bores and do a minor refresh on it, always best to hear it running before you buy, buy one that's in a car and have removed etc!!

Got me worried about mine, mine had a new short block under warranty so hope she's all good (crosses fingers). I took an oil sample of mine but never got it back!! Time to do another one.

Comment

• Yeah the wear is too much that oversized shells are not big enough - the damage IS too severe.
      The engine I'm hoping to secure is one what Munich Legends know well - they have looked after it for years - the owner has an E36 M3 Evo and is upgrading to V8 - engine is already out of the car but Munich have offered to take it and inspect it before I "accept" it for fitting into mine.

That's all presuming I can cut a deal with the owner.
      ----------------
      David
      1999 M Coupe (S50)
      >>Read my journal here<<
      2005 Smart Roadster-Coupe Brabus
      2008 Ford Ka Zetec
      2017 Kia Sportage GT-S
      2018 Abarth 595 Turismo
      sigpic

Comment

• So finally.... after 6 months away (initially at ZedShed for the underside rebuild & then with Munich Legends for the engine issues) it is back & running nicely!

On top of the work that ZedShed did, it now has a fully rebuilt S50 engine (from an E36 M3 Evo), fully rebuilt VANOS, new clutch, refurbished & re-gassed Air Con system.
        Picked up Friday & been using over the weekend - seems to be running very sweetly - just a couple of niggles - airbag light came on whilst adjusting the driver seat a few miles into my journey home (guessing dirty connectors under the seat) and sometime over the last 6 months a chunk of lacquer has lifted away from the bonnet. This was one of the panels that I didn't have repainted last year so I guess it's just bad luck but that will need doing.

But for now time to enjoy the car for a few weeks before putting it away for winter - roll on 2022 and hopefully some more miles getting under it's belt!

And hopefully less open-wallet surgury - I've spent over £16k on it this year and to date is only 300 miles on from it's MOT in February.... 200 of which were done this weekend!
        Last edited by 137699; 19-09-2021, 06:17 PM.
        ----------------
        David
        1999 M Coupe (S50)
        >>Read my journal here<<
        2008 Ford Ka Zetec
        2017 Kia Sportage GT-S
        2018 Abarth 595 Turismo
        sigpic

Comment

• Small update - after the major engine works I was detecting a little "hesitation" intermittently around 3000rpm.
          Popped my scanner on and it came back with faults on the lambda sensors.
          2 new sensors fitted and the car is driving spot on again.

Really had the opportunity to open it up this weekend across the south downs and it's driving fantastically. Full of power, handling so crisp.

Spent a small fortune on this car during 2021 but wow it's put a smile back on my face this weekend!

Still got to get that lacquer lift on the bonnet sorted, will get it to the bodyshop for assessment this week... Lovely to have the car performing so fantastically!
          ----------------
          David
          1999 M Coupe (S50)
          >>Read my journal here<<
          2008 Ford Ka Zetec
          2017 Kia Sportage GT-S
          2018 Abarth 595 Turismo
          sigpic

Comment

• Thanks to Dave_P for his post on another thread, finally bagged myself a genuine ///M boot mat - tailored for UK spec cars with the inflator kit on the right hand side:

Fits like a glove!

----------------
            David
            1999 M Coupe (S50)
            >>Read my journal here<<
            2008 Ford Ka Zetec
            2017 Kia Sportage GT-S
            2018 Abarth 595 Turismo
            sigpic

Comment

• A lot of time and effort has gone into this. Well done. The paintwork looks great.

Did you ever get confirmation as to what the oil contamination was. I assume bearing material, but I wonder if they wore out on their own or were encouraged by something. I am always nervous when I read about rocker covers being powdercoated... What do you do before powdercoating, media blasting...

I confess to not knowing what the inside of an s50 rocker cover looks like, but I wouldn't mind betting it has complicated "windage style" covers and areas that would be nearly impossible to clear out blast media. Did you ever notice the oil pressure light before it went for that work? Once that light is on and any load, its already too late really.

Comment

• It was not confirmed scientifically, but almost certainly media from the shotblasting causing a paste to wear the bearings & crank - as they were seriously worn.
                Never had any hint of oil pressure light before the work - so a very expensive lesson learnt - though you often see powder coated rocker covers on TV programmes.... hey ho...

A small update today - bonnet has been repainted so that area of lacquer lift I reported before is now gone. Haven't refitted the badge or grills as I will get the entire bonnet done in paint-protection-film - easy enough to pop those grills and badge back on when that's complete.
                ----------------
                David
                1999 M Coupe (S50)
                >>Read my journal here<<
                2008 Ford Ka Zetec
                2017 Kia Sportage GT-S
                2018 Abarth 595 Turismo
                sigpic

Comment

• I did wonder when I read the journal. I wish I had seen that you intended to powercoat it so I could have advised against it or made you aware of the risks. The beauty of hindsight, I am genuinely sorry. It seems a bit galling if you end up stumping up if someone else was doing the work on your behalf though, although I don't know who zedshed is?
                  The problem is, powdercoaters are painters at the end of the day. They generally have no detailed mechanical experience so cannot see the risks. I don't blame them, if they are asked to paint something, they will paint it. But the person doing the mechanical work on you car...Hmm.

Onwards and upwards and I hope you have many happy years enjoying M car ownership. The body and chassis work looks top notch by the way!

Comment

• Is there much of a breather and or baffle/windage tray in the rocker cover? Surprised this has happened, sounds horrible for all involved!

Comment

• All water under the bridge now. Car is running & looking A1 now. Have booked in for PPF for the bonnet on Tuesday - then will be put away til the weather improves.
                      ----------------
                      David
                      1999 M Coupe (S50)
                      >>Read my journal here<<
                      2008 Ford Ka Zetec
                      2017 Kia Sportage GT-S
                      2018 Abarth 595 Turismo
                      sigpic

Comment

• PPF done - riffy horrible day out there - but the dirt on the bonnet does make it obvious where the PPF is!
                        Apparently there's no "template" for the entire bonnet so the choice was.... £110 for the front section, or £400+ for the entire bonnet as a bespoke "hack-in" job - decided that any stone chips are most likely at the front so went with that - took less than an hour to do.

Hopefully the last money spent on the car for a while.... oh except I noticed my outside air temp gauge is playing up - I had to scrape ice off the car this morning yet according to the dial it's a balmy 26 deg out there!!!
                        Attached Files
                        ----------------
                        David
                        1999 M Coupe (S50)
                        >>Read my journal here<<
                        2008 Ford Ka Zetec
                        2017 Kia Sportage GT-S
                        2018 Abarth 595 Turismo
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...